Where does Sighthound store data?
Sighthound Video stores its data in one of the following locations:
- On Windows - C:\ProgramData\Sighthound Video\ or C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Sighthound Video\
- On OSX - /Library/Application Support/Sighthound Video/ or /Users/<your user name>/Library/Application Support/Sighthound Video/
***Note: you will need to make hidden folders visible to reach these locations:
- Show hidden folders on Windows:
- Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
- Click the View tab.
- Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.
- Access hidden library folders on OSX:
- From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
- In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.
Please be careful to copy rather than edit or delete files, so as not to interfere with the display of video clips in the Search view or other operation of Sighthound Video.
You may change the video storage location by going to "Tools --> Options" on Windows and "Sighthound Video --> Preferences" on OSX.
It is not recommended that you directly interact with video files on disk, but instead view videos through the desktop or remote access applications. If you would like to save a file for archival or sharing, the recommended method is to export a video clip. Select the clip(s) in the results list of the Search view, and choose "Export clip..." from the Tools menu.
Export to local folder is for those who wish to save clips outside of Sighthound's file management for long term archival purposes, or to send clips for certain rules into a dropbox, google drive, or other similar service's management folder. This is a feature supported by the Basic, Home and Pro Editions. This is located in the Rule Editor under "Save Clips".